Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Do Your Own Wednesday- First Time Furniture Painting

I bought this desk last your at a local auction and painted it all nice a cute. Today I will be sharing my first ever furniture painting experience with yall!

Supplies: 

Desk
Paint Painter’s Tape
Paint
Brushes
Newspaper (So you don't get paint and Polycrylic everywhere)
Sandpaper
Polycrylic 
Screwdriver 
Knobs



















Take off all the knobs so they won't get in the way. The surface of my desk was a really smooth surface so I used rough sandpaper to rough up the surface all over. After that I painted the base color all over. I put five coats on the top and 2 coats of paint everywhere else.




It took me so long to figure out the chevron pattern and I finally Googled how to do it and found this website that explained it in the easiest way possible. I also taped the edge of the desktop to avoid the white and brown paint from getting in any unwanted areas. After I covered what I needed in tape I painted the chevrons. I alternated brown and white. I put two coats of each color chevron.





 Peel the tape off when the paint is still kinda wet. Do Not wait till the paint is dry it will stick to the tape and peel off with the tape. I did not know that at the time and I had to do touch ups. Touch up if needed.




After all the paint is dry (I left it overnight because I finished when it got dark) I applied the polycrylic. I put about ten thin to medium coats on the top and about five coats everywhere else. After the Polycrylic dries (took mine about 3-4 hours), I applied the knobs and ended up with a super cute desk. 

















Colors I used all satin finishes:
Coffee bean brown from Home Depot.
Plain white.
The blue was one I got from a gift bag for my cousins baby shower and took it to Home Depot to get it custom matched.
I got the knobs at True Value in Lockhart for $2.49 and the polycrylic for $19.99.

I absolutely LOVE this desk and I still use it very often as a sewing table. This desk is without a doubt my favorite piece of furniture that I own! I hope yall enjoyed this weeks Do Your Own Wednesday. What are some of your furniture painting tip? 

xoxo
Rita!



No comments:

Post a Comment