Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Munchie Monday- Catfish Dinner

I decided to make fried catfish and hush puppies for last Thursday nights dinner. I used two recipes in my The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. I will post both recipes as well as the page number in the book.


Crispy Fried Catfish (Page 214)


2 cups of self-rising cornmeal
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried thyme
6 (8-ounce) catfish fillets -or- 1 (32-ounce) package of catfish nuggets
1 cup buttermilk (I did not use buttermilk, I used 3 eggs instead and it came out fine)
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon ground red pepper

1. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, salt, and both ground pepper. 

2. In another bowl crack the eggs and lightly beat them for a minute. Dip the catfish in the eggs, buttermilk if you used that, allow excess to drip off, and dredge in the cornmeal mixture.

3. Fry fillets two at a time, nuggets 4-6 at a time for 3-4 minutes or until they float; drain on paper towels.Pour oil to a depth of about 2 inches into a skillet, saucepan or Dutch oven; heat to 375°F (190°C).

Mexican Hush Puppies (Page 71)

2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 cup self-rising flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
1 (14 ¾- ounce) can corn 
1 ½ cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I used Colby Cheddar cheese)
2 cups chopped onion (I used 1 cup because I really don’t like onions lol)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped ( I forgot to add this :/)
2 teaspoons chili powder
Vegetable oil

1. Combine the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.

2. Combine the eggs and the next 6 ingredients in a bowl; add to dry ingredients, stirring until moistened.

3. Pour oil to a depth of about 2 inches into a skillet, saucepan or Dutch oven; heat to 375°F (190°C). Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil; fry hush puppies a few at a time, 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.













Both of these recipes are super easy and quick to make. If you don't like catfish you can use any type of fish. Let me know how your catfish dinner comes out! :D Don't forget to follow me on my social media site. Click on the links on the upper right side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment